Nov 20, 2012

I Have A Question...

My friends I'm afraid I've been thinking. (A dangerous past time. I know. -Name that movie!)  I have a really hard time keeping up with a home cleaning/maintaining routine.  I just can't seem to get into a good groove for me.  What I have found though, is that although many people have wonderful ideas.  I still have to find what works for me.  The Green Momster.  There are some things that I totally rock at.  Like turning off all our electronics at the surge protector.  (This saves money!)  Rarely do I miss a beat with that one.  The other thing I am good at is forgetting the laundry.  If there were an award for this one I would get it.  It does get done, but a lot of times I have to wash twice because I have left it in the washer too long.

Short of putting sticky notes on my face to remind me.  (I am desperate)  I want to get some ideas from others that have worked for them.  How do you remember to do laundry? (and don't just say- turn on the alarm so it can remind you.  Doesn't work for me.) How often do you clean your bathrooms?  (should there be green growing on the toilets before you finally take charge?)  Anything in general that has helped you maintain a home.  I don't need perfection right now.  I just need routine.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.  Even if they are unconventional.  I want to hear!!!

5 comments:

Carli Sue said...

Its Beauty and the Beast. Thats the movie. Nailed it!

Brett and Jen said...

I recently started trying to just do one or two loads of laundry each day from start to finish. It actually seems to help me out quite a bit. I hate doing all the laundry on one day so I decided to just try running it every day and it seems more manageable to me. I also like to clean the bathroom once a week. It doesn't always happen but it's what I'd like. I try vacuuming 2 or 3 times a week and I have a very small kitchen so I try to keep it cleaned up each day other than that I say it just doesn't matter that much if it's not done haha I'm like you, still trying to figure out the whole routine thing.

Tina said...

I'm the worst at this. I don't have a routine. Maybe wash gets done twice a week, maybe once a week. It gets done when I know the kids don't have any pairs of socks for the next day and I hurry to throw in a load of whites. Yes, my bathrooms are neglected most of the time unless company comes over. My kitchen is number one. Actually, my whole downstairs is number one since I have people over all the time for piano lessons or what not. Good luck with trying to find a system that works for you. I know some have note cards like recipe cards for each day of the week and they pull out a card each day, read what is on it and do those chores for the day and then pull out the next card the next day, etc. That seems to work wonders for some people.

The Burtons said...

I don't have anything special, I am just a little crazy about keeping things straightened so that I only have to really clean like once a week and I schedule it, Wednesday is my cleaning day and then I just let it go. As long as I straighten up throughout the day, I only clean (vacuum, bathrooms, etc.) on Wednesday and I let it go the other days and don't feel bad. The laundry I can't help you with, I am just as bad and remembering.

The Halls said...

I have assigned my self a room a day. M-kitchen, T-bathroom W-bedrooms and laundry, Th-sitting room, F-T.V room. I have had my kids pick one thing in each room they can help me do and we do our chores together after school. It doesn't happen everyday and our house is still a mess, but for me it's a start.