Sep 10, 2011

Solar System

This year for science we are learning about astronomy.  We have had a lot of fun learning about the solar system, as well as constellations, and other things.  Our first project was to make a solar system out of balloons.  We had so much fun.  The balloons are are about the real size they would be if we shrunk the solar system.  Except for the sun.  We couldn't fit the sun in the classroom, so we just blew the yellow balloon up as big as we could.
 Noodle hanging up Mercury.
 Chief and Venus
 Jupiter
 Saturn
 Pluto
Here is what it looks like.  My favorite was Saturn.  Nothing finer than a pink planet with pink rings.
We got to come up with our own mneumonic sentence to help us remember the planets.

Moose's Very Excited Muffin Just Spanked Uncle's New Puppy

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto

Can't wait for our next project!

3 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, how fun!! I bet your boys had a blast doing that and I just love the sentence you made up to remember the planets and their order. How great!

Sonja said...

Can I come be your student? That sounds like so much fun.

Laurie Wilcox said...

How cool! That looks like so much fun! You are doing awesome! I have been thinking about you guys a lot and then I remembered you have a blog! DUH! It was fun to get a sneak peak at your newest adventure. Your little man is too cute!!! I can't wait to meet him in person. BTW I have to agree with the smiling thing... babies definitely get to see things that we don't! I have something for your little guy. Will you be at church this Sunday? I plan to be there if my kids don't get sick before then. We haven't had any vomiting since Tuesday! Let us know when you are up for a game night! I also have info for MOPS and "all moms" activities if you are interested. Have a good night!